The Midnight Resistance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A DC UNIVERSE ONLINE HERO LEAGUE ON THE VIRTUE & VICE SERVER

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Current US Time (EST)
Current UK Time (GMT)
Gallery
Birth of a Monster Empty
Latest topics
» [Technical Issue]Launchpad error
Birth of a Monster EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 pm by Caryington

» Bowing out - Sorry :(
Birth of a Monster EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 1:37 pm by Caryington

» [Hint] Getting back to the Joker's
Birth of a Monster EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 am by Caryington

» Defeat Isis Quest
Birth of a Monster EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 am by Caryington

» Links to the DC Universe - Your Character
Birth of a Monster EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 7:07 am by Caryington

» [Kate Caryington]This is how it all started...
Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 am by Caryington

» Character Bios
Birth of a Monster EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 7:05 pm by Host

» Guild Roster
Birth of a Monster EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 7:32 am by Host

» Patching Problems
Birth of a Monster EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 2:15 pm by Host

Top posters
Caryington
Birth of a Monster EmptyBirth of a Monster I_voting_barBirth of a Monster Empty 
Host
Sister Sinister
Smirk
Tando
Prioryjk
Jolts
External Links

DC Universe Online

DCUO Source

Midnight Resistance Wiki

MR on Facebook
Poll

Birth of a Monster

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm

2a.m.
High above the streets of Gotham: the city that never sleeps for fear of what really lurks in the dark, a man dangles unconscious and upside-down from a steel cable tied around his left ankle.
The cord seems tied by its other end at first to a large and hunched gargoyle; its grey skin marred with cracks and weathered gashes across its surface. This gargoyle has no wings however, just a body twisted out of all proportion, a mass of muscle and bone hunched double as if using the man like a fishing lure.
It blinks.
Cold blue eyes scan the horizon, caring little for the helpless man who swings delicately in the wind on the end of the cable; almost weightless to the hulking thing, its gorilla-like hand clasped tightly around his only lifeline.
Not a gargoyle at all but a man – or a man once, at least – the thing watches the skyline as searchlights reach to the heavens, breaking through the gloom and the darkness that blankets everything above the neon art-deco glare of the streets below.

So easily he could let go, another piece of street scum that Gotham could be without.

He tries to remember his past, but it is all so hazy as if a thick fog shrouds his thoughts, clouding him from ever really knowing the truth. Small parts were returning to him, fragments of what had come before, but it was all so garbled that he didn't know what was real memory and what was suggestion. The man at his mercy had revealed one such clue before losing consciousness due to being upside-down and terrified for far too long: he had become delirious and started chanting 'Naja-Naja' with a look of true fear in his eyes. The name meant something to the crouching colossus, if only he could understand truly what. It conjured flashback images of bubbling, tar-like luminous waters, a cave, the hiss of a serpent and darkness.

Furrowing his great brow in confusion, he felt frustration and anger begin to well in him and decided to tie the cable to a stone outcrop before he forgot himself and let the man fall in his distraction. Not for the first time that evening he looked at his huge hands as he tied the cable. They seemed overly-large, swelled and grey as if moulded of clay or stone. They didn't look like his hands. They looked dead.

More memories flashed then, sharp and painful in his mind like a thousand tiny needles ripping through his skull. He saw himself snarling as street-gangs fire pistols and shotguns at him pointlessly, the bullets simply embedding in his dulled skin only to drop out seconds later. He saw himself lifting a police car above his head in rage and bringing it down on three of Gotham's finest, ending their lives in a crimson bloodbath. The villainous and the virtuous, all fell before him indiscriminately.

But why? Who was he? What was he?

I thought I'd find you here, Revenant.” The voice was deep, calm.

so, I have a name...

He turned his head then, straightening up from his hunched position and dwarfing the newcomer who stood just out of the shadows. He wore black, from head to toe with a long sweeping cloak about his shoulders and a cowl covering his face.

Batman.

Last edited by Revenant on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm

PART II

Lightning streaked across the sky, lighting up the night and creating a white backdrop against which stood Batman and Revenant, three feet apart. In the streets below nobody looked up but if that had, they would have seen the cowled vigilante stand tall against the hulking giant. A lesser man would have stepped back, or even ran, but Batman had stood against the likes of Killer Kroc and Bane in the past. Two mighty Titans who could crush a man's head with a single hand, and this creature...this 'Revenant' made three.

You've left quite a trail of destruction behind you.” Batman said, keeping his composure.

As the light faded back to black, Revenant grinned evilly, his teeth shinning bright against the night sky.

I see your reputation is well deserved,” He snarled as he loomed over the Dark Knight. “They say you know no fear, but that is a lie. All men know fear, it is what keeps us alive.

Even you? What would you have to be afraid of?” A leading question, but it allowed the Batman precious time to study the man-monster.

Even me, Batman.” he laughed then, and hunched over slightly.

An interesting choice of words, 'alive.'” the black-clad man said. “I had to use alternative methods to track you Revenant, your bio-signs came up nil.” He walked past the nine-foot wall of muscle and walked to the rooftop edge, looking over at the man dangling and unconscious by the cable. An onlooker who didn't know the Batman might have thought it a reckless move, exposing his flank and being so near to the edge, but it was a calculated risk; a gauge of the big man's intent. “...and then there's the name – 'Revenant' a word from the 1800s, meaning 'a person who returns as a spirit after death, a ghost'” he quoted. “Is that what you are, a ghost?

The Revenant lowered his head, shaking it as he did so. He was reluctant to answer, or couldn't.

You shouldn't have come, Batman.” Clenching his huge fists he was growing annoyed.

...and you shouldn't have attacked those three officers. Two are dead, Revenant. One is in a coma. You are accountable, and everyone must answer for their sins.

He laughed then, and it was a terrible sound: primal and full of madness, a hairsbreadth away from a roar.

So you are here to teach me a lesson, little man?!” Revenant snarled as he slammed his fists into the rooftop, cracking the concrete and causing the Batman to take a step back to keep his footing.

I don't want to fight you,” came the calm reply, but that only enraged the massive man further.

TOUGH! he bellowed as he charged full-tilt at the Dark Knight.

Last edited by Revenant on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

((RESERVED FOR PART III))
Back to top Go down
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

((RESERVED FOR PART IV))
Back to top Go down
Sister Sinister
Mother Midnight
Mother Midnight
Sister Sinister

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 1:13 am

Awesome introduction mate. I look forward to meeting this freak!
Back to top Go down
http://midnightresistance.web-rpg.org
Caryington
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Caryington

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 4:20 am

Good start, Mr Wolf ^^'
Now how about you give us the next parts?
Back to top Go down
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 7:09 am

Thankies!

I'll put Part II up tonight (18.02.11)
Part III up 19.02.11 and
Part IV up 20.02.11

....hopefully Wink
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Caryington

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 7:18 am

You may proceed with my blessing!
Back to top Go down
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Part 2 uploaded.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Caryington

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 pm

nom nom nom
Back to top Go down
Host
Shadow Crusader
Shadow Crusader
Host

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 10:15 pm

(( On hold for the moment until I decide what I want my 'main' character to be and have written an Origins Story for them))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Birth of a Monster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth of a Monster   Birth of a Monster Empty

Back to top Go down

Birth of a Monster
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Midnight Resistance :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: Role-playing, Storytelling & Fanfiction-
Jump to: